How do you decorate your home? Which decorative items complement your home decor? A rug is one of these items that adds warmth and color. Rugs can be handmade or machine-made. But the question that arises is what type of rug would you like to choose? The following tips will help you recognize the differences between handmade rugs and machine-made rugs in the marketplace.
- The very first thing you should ask when you are choosing handmade rugs is the country of origin they belong to and learn what each style of rug looks like. In Morocco, for example, the techniques of hand weaving have been passed down from generation to generation. In addition, learn about the construction. In Morocco, the surface of the rug has been clipped to a plush even length and should be smooth.
- The fringes of rugs will indicate whether the rug is handmade or machine-made. Handmade rugs have their original fringes, and these fringes have not been added after manufacture. However, machine-made rugs have fringes that have been added after manufacture. Look carefully and see if the fringe is part of the original rug or added after it was manufactured.
- Inspect the side edges of rugs closely. Handmade rugs have hand edges that will be cast over or to put is another way, a continuous weave, while machine-made rugs have tighter stitches that have been made by a machine. With careful observation, you will be able to spot the differences very easily.
- Check the patterns on the back of the rugs as they will reveal many things to you. The patterns on both the back and front of authentic rugs are well-designed with visible solid definitions. If you are told that a rug is an authentic handmade rug and the patterns or designs are obscured and not clearly visible, then this rug is most likely not a handmade rug and is a fake.
- Genuine and authentic handmade rugs feature vibrant colors that were woven together and chosen by a skilled artisan. The patterns and colors in a handmade rug are more likely to captivate you than ones in a machine-made rug. Above all, handmade rugs would not have any brand names.
Where to Buy Handmade Rugs?
Handmade rugs are available occasionally in retail stores and online.
When you look for a rug online, you can chose one by color, size and budget. However, do some research to get a quality product.
At JS-Rugs, we offer various types of handmade rugs—Azilal rugs, Beni Ourain rugs, Taznakht rugs, and Morcoccan Kilims—at affordable prices. We offer free shipping and have a return policy. Once you place your order, we will ship it to you within 24 hours of purchase.
And Last but not Least!
It is important for you to choose a handmade rug that will compliment your home decor. You should look at not only the color but also the shape and design of the rug. Quite often, rugs that appear well-designed may not be authentic. Peruse our tips to differentiate between genuine handmade rugs and fake rugs.